Why Porcini Mushroom Turns Pink When Cut? (Also Boletus)

A change in the color of the pulp of the mushroom is an alarming sign that casts doubt on the edibility of the specimen. If the white porcini mushroom turns pink when cut, this means that it is unsuitable for food, since mushrooms never change the color of the flesh on the cut of the leg or cap. While most of the species that turn pink at the break are poisonous, there is also an edible variety.

porcini mushroom turns pink when cut

What mushroom turns pink when cut?

Any experienced mushroom picker will say that if the white mushroom has turned pink, it is better not to put it in a basket, but leave it in the forest.

Reference! A distinctive feature of the porcini is dense white pulp, which does not change color after cutting. It always remains cream or white, has a dense structure and a pleasant smell.

A change in the color of the pulp is one of the key criteria by which edible specimens are distinguished from poisonous ones. If the cut begins to turn red or has acquired a pinkish tint, it is better to bypass such an instance. It is most likely poisonous and can cause serious food poisoning.

It must be remembered that some edible species may turn blue when broken or at the site of mechanical damage. A striking example is the Polish mushroom. This is one of the varieties of white, and the flesh begins to change color within a few minutes. Even after minimal pressure on the cap, its surface becomes blue from brown.

Important! Each mushroom picker must learn to distinguish between poisonous and edible varieties, not only in the color of the pulp, but also in other ways.

non edible mushrooms that turn pink when cut

Suppose that the porcini mushroom found in the forest turned pink on the cut almost instantly. This is a very alarming sign, so you need to consider the found instance in more detail.

Important! The porcini mushroom does not have many poisonous counterparts, but they are so similar to the boletus that it is not difficult to confuse them during a “silent hunt”.

If the porcini mushroom turns pink on the cut, and its hat remains the same in color, it is possible that the specimen found is a poisonous double:

  1. porcini & boletus : the most insidious twin of porcini. At first glance, they are very similar. They have legs and caps similar in shape, the skin is dark yellow or brown, and the leg is light. But, if you look at the tubular layer, you can see that it is pink, not white or cream. In addition, the mustard has a characteristic yellow or brown mesh pattern on the stem, which the boletus is completely devoid of.
  2. Satanic mushroom: dangerous because it can cause severe food poisoning, even death. In the cut, its flesh first begins to turn pink, then blush, after which it acquires a rich blue color. This variety belongs to the Borovik family, so the satanic fruit body is very similar to white in the shape of the fruiting body. But his hat is usually not brown, but white or gray, and the stem is very brightly colored: yellow or orange at the top and red at the bottom.

Some mushroom pickers are advised to taste dubious specimens. But this method is dangerous and is applicable only to the gall fungus. Its pulp has a pronounced bitter taste, which only intensifies when cooked.

porcini causes severe poisoning only in rare cases. The fact is that after heat treatment, its taste becomes so unpleasant that it will not work to eat a lot of such a dish. An exception to the rule is pickled blanks. They are devoid of an unpleasant taste, and if it is the gall fungus that is pickled, it can cause not only digestive problems but also cirrhosis of the liver.

Experienced lovers of “silent hunting” do not recommend tasting the pulp of dubious mushrooms. This method is very hazardous to health, so it is better to carefully examine the specimens found. If there are doubts about edibility, it is better not to put them in a basket.

edible mushrooms that turn pink when cut

pochemu belyj mushroom rozoveet na sreze 603a11344d338 - Why white mushroom turns pink on the cut

There are very few edible mushrooms that can turn pink at the cut point. If a mushroom was found in the forest that turns pink on the cut, but is not bitter and does not look like a satanic one, most likely the porcini mushroom turns pink when cut.

Outwardly, it looks like this:

  1. The hat is small, yellow-brown in color with slight patches of a lighter shade.
  2. The tubular layer of young specimens is white, becoming dirty gray with time.
  3. The flesh is white and dense, at the break it first becomes pink, and then darkens.
  4. The leg is small, white and covered with black-brown scales. It is thicker at the base, and the upper part often curves towards the lighter side.

This is an edible variety that is suitable for consumption in any form: dried, boiled, fried and pickled.

Why porcini mushroom turns pink when cut?

porcini is the most valuable find for any mushroom picker. But it is important to remember its distinctive external features.

Reference! A porcini mushroom with a pink leg is not a boletus, but one of the poisonous varieties, for example, a young satanic mushroom. Boletus leg can only be white or cream. Any other shades are not allowed.

The pulp can change color not only during the collection process but also when cooked in water. If a piece of mustard or a satanic mushroom accidentally gets into the pan, the liquid itself and the fruiting bodies in it may turn pink or redden.

In this case, you should not try to find a poisonous specimen among boiled mushrooms. There are definitely toxins in the brewing liquid, so the whole batch will have to be thrown away.

Why any mushroom turn pink on the cut?

Understanding the very process of changing the color of the pulp will help to clearly understand the danger of eating mushrooms that turn pink on the cut. If a hat, stem, or flesh turns pink in a putative white fungus, this sign indicates that dangerous toxic compounds are contained in the fruiting body. They enter into a chemical reaction with air, due to which the color of the pulp quickly changes. Accordingly, the specimen found is not edible.

Going to the forest for mushrooms, you need to study in advance the descriptions and photos of edible and poisonous varieties. It should be remembered that the boletus never changes the color of the pulp on a break or during the cooking process. There are no exceptions to this rule. If the found mushroom is in doubt, it is better to leave it in the forest altogether so as not to endanger the health of loved ones.